Date: 1 Dec 2002
Susan McDonald died in a fire at her home caused by a wheelie bin that had been set on fire outside her door on 1 December 2002.
She died from smoke inhalation and was found dead on her bedroom floor.
Her fiance was with her at the time but he jumped out of the window and broke his ankle. They were due to get married a few weeks later.
The emergency services were called at 12.50am.
The wheelie bin had been outside her front door. The fire then spread through the door into the hall and stairs, trapping Susan McDonald and her fiance upstairs.
In the weeks before her death she had received hate mail, text messages and phone calls. One of the text messages read, 'If the cancer doesn't kill you, I will.'. Another said that her fiance was having an affair. Susan McDonald had even changed her telephone number because of the number of calls that she was getting.
Her fiance said that they were asleep at the time and Susan McDonald woke him up and told him that the front door was on fire. He said then that he looked out of the window and saw a person running away. He said that by then the smoke and fumes were already coming into the house and he went into a back bedroom thinking that Susan McDonald was following him and used some curtains to climb down. He said that he then tried to get back into the house through the front door but was unable.
At the inquest, a verdict of unlawful killing was returned with her death being caused by inhalation of smoke and fumes.