Unsolved Murders

Alexandre Marques

Age: 61

Sex: male

Date: 2 Jan 2006

Place: Woodside Road, Caddington, Luton, Bedfordshire

Alexandre Marques's skeletal remains were found in undergrowth off Woodside between Caddington and Slip End on 2 January 2006.

Two people were arrested on suspicion of his murder during the police investigation but were released with no further action.

He had been missing since Sunday 16 October 2005 from his bedsit in Clanricarde Gardens, Notting Hill, London. He was later reported missing on 21 October 2005 by colleagues at the ARTS club in Mayfair, where he was a waiter, after he didn't turn up for work for five days. He was last known to have worked the night shift on Saturday 15 October 2005 after which he had taken his usual taxi home which was arranged by his manager.

He was last seen by his neighbour in Clanricarde Gardens at about 11am on 16 October 2005. About an hour later he had called a friend and invited him for drinks at the Notting Hill Café. However, his friend couldn't make it at the time they had agreed and later called to reschedule their meeting at 5.20pm but said that Alexandre Marques didn't answer his phone.

He was later known to have called a friend at 12.11pm.

Later that night at 9pm, a rent boy that regularly visited Alexandre Marques said that he went to his bedsit and found his front door unlocked but said that no-one was home.

Alexandre Marques was a homosexual. The police said that Alexandre Marques was openly gay and lived a lifestyle centred around socialising.

When police searched Alexandre Marques's bedsit they found that his keys, credit cards, passport, glasses and wallet were all missing. They said that there were no signs of a disturbance and that it was as if he had left to go out.

After he was reported as missing the police launched a poster campaign at gay venues across London. They later found that someone had been taking money out of his bank account and launched a murder inquiry. A man had been seen taking £100 from cash machines in Willesden and Cricklewood on 18 October 2005. He had been dressed in dark trousers with red writing up the sides and a reflective light patch at the bottom of each leg.

The police said, 'The unidentified male is obviously critical to our investigation. This person might hold key information about where Alexandre Marques was on 16 October and what happened to him. If that person isn't the person involved in his disappearance then what I'd like to understand is how did that person come into possession of his bank cards'.

His bank cards had been used in the Shepherd's Bush, Cricklewood and Kilburn areas and the transactions had usually taken place between 8.30pm and 9.45pm on days between 18 October and 24 October 2005.

Later on 2 January 2006 Alexandre Marques's decomposed remains were found by a couple off of Woodside Road near Luton off the M1 and the police appealed for anyone that had been using Woodside Road in October 2005, when it was thought that his body had been dumped, to contact them.

Alexandre Marques had come to the United Kingdom from Lisbon in 1994. He was known to have often gone to venues such as the Champion pub in Notting Hill Gate, the Quebec bar in Marble Arch and the Leinster pub in Notting Hill.

Also the murder investigation was closed in 2007 it was reopened in January 2019 after a significant piece of forensic information was found and it was reported in November 2020 that another new line of enquiry was opened following developments in forensic science.

*map pointers are rough estimates based on known location details as per Place field above.