Unsolved Murders

Tracey Wylde

Age: 21

Sex: female

Date: 26 Nov 1997

Place: Torryburn Road, Barmulloch, Glasgow

Source: www.independent.co.uk

Tracey Wylde was murdered in her flat in Glasgow.

She was found in her top-floor flat when friends went to visit her.

It was thought that she had been strangled.

She was a prostitute and it was reported that she was the sixth prostitute in six years to have been murdered in Glasgow. She was also said to have been a heroin addict and to have worked in the famous 'drag' area around Blythswood Street in Glasgow.

When her murder was first reported the police said that they were looking for a smartly dressed man that had been seen getting out of a dark blue Ford Escort car with her in the early hours around 2am. He was described as being about 25 to 30 years old, 5ft 9in tall, of medium build with short, light brown hair, clean shaven and dressed smartly in dark clothing. Several items of CCTV evidence of the man, on his own and with Tracey Wylde, have been recovered.

In the initial stages of the enquiry Tracey Wylde's adoptive father was considered a suspect in her murder and repeatedly questioned. It was said that he had been taking her for tea each day and the police suggested that he had been having a sexual relationship with her. The adoptive father described the police as nutcases. He also said, 'Police are not good people as far as I'm concerned. They have no thoughts about anybody except themselves'.

During the investigation the police identified 40 of her clients who were tested for DNA and also took DNA samples from 2,500 men.

On 9 January 2015 a man in Malad, near Mumbai in India was arrested for her murder. It was reported in January 2016 that his extradition was still pending due to red tape and he had been given bail on 30 January 2015. He had been a teenager in Glasgow at the time of Tracey Wylde's murder. He was first identified as a suspect after a 2013 cold-case review involving DNA and CCTV evidence. An arrest warrant was later granted for him in August 2014 at Glasgow Sheriff Court. He was said to have come to Glasgow in August 1997 to do a one-year course at the Glasgow College of Nautical Studies and to have been living on campus, however, he was said to have dropped out of the course sometime after Tracey Wylde's murder and to have returned to India. As of March 2018 his extradition and questioning by the Scottish police is still pending.

Tracey Wylde had a 3-year-old daughter.

In July 2018 a man was arrested and charged in connection with her death.

*map pointers are rough estimates based on known location details as per Place field above.