Unsolved Murders

Trevor Monerville

Age: 26

Sex: male

Date: 1 Jan 1994

Place: Hackney

Source: www.islingtontribune.com

Trevor Monerville was stabbed in Trumans Road, Stoke Newington on 19 March 1994.

His brother Joseph Burke-Monerville was also later murdered in 2013 and his murder is also unsolved.

Trevor Monerville had also been the centre of a previous scandal when he was left with brain damage after being taken to Stoke Newington police station in 1987, when he was 19-years-old. He had been taken by the police from Hackney to Stoke Newington police station and the following day he was taken to Brixton Prison were he was found to be injured. He was then taken to a hospital where he was found to have had a blood clot and surgery was carried out, but he was left with permanent brain damage. Friends claimed that he was assaulted in the police station by policemen, but the police said that he was already injured when they found him beaten up in a car.

Trevor Monerville was left with no memory of the events.

It was said that Trevor Monerville had vanished on New Year’s Eve in 1987 after he went out to go to his aunts. After he vanished, his family went to Stoke Newington police station on New Year’s Day to see him, but the police denied that he was in custody, which was a lie that they later admitted to.

His family sought damages from the Metropolitan Police, claiming police brutality, but the case fell through in 1989. It was noted that the Police Complaints Authority refused to release evidence in the civil action and also that the family were refused access to the custody records from the police station.

It was also later revealed that during their justice campaign for Trevor Monerville, the police had infiltrated their campaign to spy on them, an action that was encompassed under the Metropolitan Police's Operation Herne.

It was noted that Trevor Monerville was arrested three times between 1989 and 1990 and charged with obstruction and assault but acquitted each time. His family said that they thought that undercover policemen were meeting up with Trevor Monerville and giving him alcohol so that they could do him for drink driving.

Seven years later he was attacked by five men in Hackney and stabbed ten times and died. Nothing much more is known about the murder incident except that it was not solved. The exact date of his murder is also not known.

His family said that they thought that the reason that the police were unable to solve his murder was because of the animosity associated with the accusations that Trevor Monerville had been beaten up by the police in Stoke Newington police station.

It was also suggested that his murder might have had something to do with the 1987 incident. It was also noted that alongside the campaign for justice for Trevor Monerville supporters had also set up a broader campaign to expose police brutality in Stoke Newington.

No one was ever arrested for his murder.

*map pointers are rough estimates based on known location details as per Place field above.