Unsolved Murders

Denzil Sutherland

Age: 24

Sex: male

Date: 29 Mar 2003

Place: Walthamstow Market, Erskine Road, Walthamstow, London

Source: news.bbc.co.uk

Denzil Sutherland was stabbed to death in Erskine Road, Walthamstow.

A man was tried for his murder but acquitted. The man and his friend were said to have attacked Denzil Sutherland near Walthamstow Market on 29 March 2003 during which the man had stabbed him. However, the man denied stabbing Denzil Sutherland or seeing anyone else do it. He was said to have punched, kicked and stabbed Denzil Sutherland. He was cleared of both murder and manslaughter.

It was thought that it was a case of road rage after he had got into a fight with the three men after they had had an accident with their cars in Erskine Road between 1.30pm and 2.30pm on 29 March 2003 and that when he had got out to look at the damage the men had attacked him.

The police put up posters and handed out leaflets in order to trace any witnesses resulting in two witnesses who had seen the attack coming forward.

The man had said that he had been at Walthamstow market with his cousin to get some electrical cable. He said that he had parked his car in Erskine Road and then gone into the market and that as he was returning he saw his two friends remonstrating with Denzil Sutherland who he then saw run off from his friends who shouted 'Stop', in his direction with a mobile phone in his hand.

The man said that he assumed that the phone was stolen and so stuck out his leg and tripped Denzil Sutherland up. He said then that Denzil Sutherland tried to hit him and that he hit him back although he was not sure if his blow had landed or not and that Denzil Sutherland then got in his Fiat Coupe car and drove off. He said that he didn't see Denzil Sutherland get stabbed.

The prosecution said that the man and his two friends had attacked Denzil Sutherland who had remonstrated with the man's friends after finding that his car was damaged. It was said that during the struggle he was stabbed and that he had walked off to his car and got in it and driven off to Century Road in Walthamstow where he lived with his mother. He was taken to hospital where he later died from heart failure. It was said that his last words to his mother were 'I love you but I have to say goodbye. I'm going now'.

His post-mortem revealed that he had been stabbed three times in the chest and abdomen and that one of the blows had penetrated 8cm into his heart.

*map pointers are rough estimates based on known location details as per Place field above.