Date: 15 Aug 2005
James Tomlin died after an arson attack at his home. He jumped from a bedroom window but then had a heart attack and died.
Someone had poured kerosene through his letterbox of his home at Prospect Grove in Windhill, Shipley, and the set it on fire in the early hours of 15 August 2005.
He had been trapped in the back bedroom of his house but had smashed the window and jumped out into his back garden. He then had a heart attack. He was taken to Bradford Royal Infirmary where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
However, his post-mortem showed that he had died from inhalation of smoke and gases from the fire. His partner and their children had been trapped in the front bedroom. She called 999 and the operator told her to stay low on the ground and they were rescued two minutes later by firefighters. An inquest heard that they had themselves been seconds from death.
The police said that there was no clear motive and said that it was possible that someone had targeted the wrong house. They said that it was clear that James Tomlin was not a criminal or involved with drugs.
James Tomlin was an engineer.