Date: 10 Sep 2001
Lindsey Chezine Scholes died from smoke inhalation after the house that she was staying in was set on fire.
The fire was started at 4.30am on 8 September 2001. She had been staying with some friends at the house on the first floor at the time where a party had been held and was rescued from the fire by firemen. However, she had already received burns and been exposed to the smoke and fumes.
She was taken to the Barnsley District Hospital where she was found to have 18% burns and then taken to the Royal Hallamshire for further treatment but died on 10 September 2001.
The police said that accelerants had been used to start the fire which was started at the front door of the property. The fire then spread through the house and two other girls that had been asleep upstairs escaped through a window but Lindsey Scholes, who was unconscious, was left and was in the house until the firemen arrived.
It was thought that Lindsey Scholes might have known the people that had started the fire.
A number of people were arrested but no one was ever charged.
There had been a party at the house earlier on in the night and a number of young local people had been attending.