Date: 16 Apr 2014
Colin Moss died following a fire at his house on 15 April 2014 that had been started with petrol.
He had been covered in petrol and then set alight. He died the following day.
The police initially charged Colin Moss's housemate who Colin Moss had taken in so that he would not have to pay the bedroom tax with murder, but he was later released without charge.
It was not thought that he would have taken his own life but there was little evidence to say how the fire was started and an open verdict was returned.
Both Colin Moss and his housemate were rescued from the fire by the fire brigade. When the fire brigade arrived, they found the housemate coming down the stairs covered in soot and Colin Moss in the bath, still conscious. After being rescued, they were both taken to the Royal Victoria Infirmary, in Newcastle.
It was heard that on the day of the fire, Colin Moss and his housemate had both returned home with food and alcohol that they then consumed. It was heard that they would often bicker after drinking alcohol and that they often drank alcohol.
The inquest heard that the housemate had no flash injuries on him indicating that he might have started the fire, and that there was no petrol found on his clothing.
The Coroner said that Colin Moss came to be covered in petrol by his own hand, or by the action of another. However, he said that there was no evidence of a third party having been involved, but also noted that no container for the petrol was found.
Colin Moss's brother said that he doubted that Colin Moss would have taken his own life.