Date: 25 Mar 1912
Mary Ann Prew died from burns that might have been caused by mineral oil.
She was burnt from her feet to her neck.
Mary Prew was seen to go out charing on the Thursday evening at 6.45pm. She met a friend who said that Mary Prew complained of biliousness and that she suffered in the head.
Her son, who had always lived with her had married and gone off to Canada the week before and it was thought that that had affected her.
Later the woman took Mary Prew some coffee to her in bed and noticed the burns and when she asked how she had got them Mary Prew said that she didn't know. She said that when she asked her what was on her hand Mary Prew had said, 'Only smut'.
In her room was an uncorked bottle of paraffin which was kept under a table about 8ft from the fireplace.
see Western Times - Monday 25 March 1912
see Western Times - Friday 29 March 1912