Unsolved Murders

Jamie Connelly

Age: 28

Sex: male

Date: 8 Mar 2015

Place: Greenhill Road, Rutherglen

Source: www.dailyrecord.co.uk

Jamie Connelly was stabbed in the heart on Greenhill Road at about 8pm on Sunday 8 March 2015.

He had been stabbed in the street and then helped back to his flat where an ambulance was called which took him to Glasgow’s Victoria Infirmary, but he died soon after.

A 29-year-old man was tried for his murder, but the charge was found not proven.

The 29-year-old man and Jamie Connelly had been best friends, but it was heard at the trial that Jamie Connelly had owed the 29-year-old man £600. It was heard that the 29-year-old man had run a business in which people could call up a number and order alcohol out-of-hours which was then delivered to their homes, for which he charged twice the regular amount, and that Jamie Connelly had worked for him. It was also heard that Jamie Connelly also sold drugs and had run up a £600 debt using the drink ordering service himself.

The court heard that Jamie Connelly had spent much of the 8 March 2015 calling the 29-year-old man and threatening his family, although it was then said that they finally worked out a deal in which Jamie Connelly would pay the 29-year-old man half of what he owed him immediately and they had then arranged to meet outside Jamie Connelly's house in Greenhill Road, Rutherglen.

However, at the trial, it was heard that Jamie Connelly claimed, a few hours before he was murdered, that the 29-year-old man had put a £20,000 or £30,000 contract out on him. However, the 29-year-old man denied that.

The 29-year-old man said that he went to Greenhill Road in his BMW 6 series car and parked up outside Jamie Connelly's house and then sat there looking at rental properties on his mobile phone.

However, the 29-year-old man said that Jamie Connelly didn't hand over the money and said that things became violent and someone smashed his windscreen. He said, 'My windscreen was going in. I thought I was getting shot at'. He said that he received a wound to his head and then reversed out of Greenhill Road and drove off to his girlfriend's house, saying that when he left Jamie Connelly was uninjured.

The 29-year-old man said that the first he heard of Jamie Connelly being dead was when Jamie Connelly's mother and then his brother called him. He denied murdering Jamie Connelly, saying that he was like a brother to him.

However, Jamie Connelly's father said that he had been in Greenhill Road at the time and saw the 29-year-old man get out of his car and said that he saw him lunge at Jamie Connelly after which he saw him get into his BMW 6 series car, which he said had a damaged windscreen and drive away.

The father said that Jamie Connelly then managed to get himself back to his flat but said that he then collapsed in the toilet. The father said that when they were back in the flat, Jamie Connelly lifted his t-shirt up and said, 'He got me a f***ing cracker, dad'.

The father said, 'There was blood everywhere. I was trying to stem the blood, but I couldn't stop it. I was saying 'Jamie don't leave me.''.

Jamie Connelly was a Celtic fan and his nickname was Jamboy.

*map pointers are rough estimates based on known location details as per Place field above.