Unsolved Murders

Ryan Musgrove

Age: 36

Sex: male

Date: 16 Jul 2009

Place: Sparrows Den Playing Fields, West Wickham, Bromley, London

Source: www.met.police.uk

Ryan Musgrove was shot two times as he waited to start football training with Coney Hall FC on 16 July 2009 at 6.35pm.

He died at the scene before the ambulance arrived.

He worked as an electrician and was involved with Coney Hall Football Club which he coached and was the first team manager for. However, he was also said to have been involved with drugs and cannabis farming and to have been a gangland drug debt enforcer.

His assassin was said to have waited for him in some bushes and at the appropriate moment leapt out and shot him with a Second World War Luger P8, a semi-automatic handgun, and then used a black mountain bike to ride off towards New Addington. The gunman had been wearing a mask. He had shot at Ryan Musgrove four times and hit him twice.

Ryan Musgrove was hit in the heart, kidneys and spleen.

The gunman was thought to have been seen several times near the Sparrows Den playing fields earlier including on the 14 July 2009 between 6pm and 7pm as well as near the Coney Hall Football club in West Wickham on the 9 July 2009 between 6pm and 7pm which was half a mile away from Sparrows Den playing fields. He was described as being white, between 19 and 30 years old, and of a tall slim build and had been wearing dark clothing and possibly a balaclava with a cycling helmet, goggles, sunglasses and a face mask. When seen on the earlier occasions he was said to have acted in the same way and been wearing a dust mask.

Ryan Musgrove had arrived at the Sparrows Den playing fields off Addington Road for a coaching session at 6.35pm in his silver VW Golf and had got out with a friend and walked to the playing field where he talked to one of the football players. As they were talking the gunman came out of a hedge with his bike which he dropped to the ground and then walked towards them and shot at Ryan Musgrove several times and then went back to his bike and rode off. As he fled he was chased by some of the football players and fired a shot at them as he went.

The post-mortem stated that the cause of death was shock and haemorrhage from a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

Two people were arrested but no charges were made.

Ryan Musgrove had lived on Towpath Way in South Norwood.

*map pointers are rough estimates based on known location details as per Place field above.

see This Is Local London

see News Shopper

see Croydon Advertiser

see Murder Map

see BBC

see Croydon Advertiser Murdered football coach 'was a gangland enforcer'