Unsolved Murders

Mohamed Dura-Ray

Age: 16

Sex: male

Date: 14 Sep 2015

Place: Canterbury Place, Newington Estate, Kennington, SE17

Mohamed Dura-Ray was stabbed to death in Canterbury Place, Kennington, London.

He had been ambushed by a gang.

His post mortem stated that he died from a single stab wound to the heart, although other reports suggested that he had had multiple stab wounds. His inquest stated that he had no defensive wounds. The Coroner returned a verdict of unlawful killing.

Eight people were arrested during the investigation, but no one was convicted. It was heard that several charges were later dropped after a key witness refused to give evidence.

The police were called to what was described as a large disturbance at about 10pm on 14 September 2015 involving about 20 youths.

A person said that they saw an unknown male swinging their right arm up and over at Mohamed Dura-Ray after which Mohamed Dura-Ray cried out, 'I've been stabbed, I've been stabbed!'.

A witness said that they saw Mohamed Dura-Ray clutching his chest and running and said that he then fell. Paramedics arrived at the scene at 10.22pm and carried out emergency surgery on Mohamed Dura-Ray at the scene, but he was pronounced dead at the scene at 10.52pm. Witnesses that saw the surgery described it as looking like open-heart surgery.

It was said that shortly after Mohamed Dura-Ray was stabbed that three men got in a car and drove off, and that between two or three youths then rode off and that several other youths on foot also left the scene.

His murder was said to have been filmed on SnapChat, a mobile phone based social media program that deleted videos once they had been watched.

The police recovered a number of knifes after the murder, but none of them could be linked to Mohamed Dura-Ray's murder. They said that they found kitchen knives, a lock knife, a screwdriver, and a large blue-handled kitchen knife in shrubbery on the estate. They said, 'There were quite a few knives floating around the estate at this time. The actual knife involved in this offence is still outstanding'.

However, the police did find a letter that had the name of a suspect on it as well as some of Mohamed Dura-Ray's blood, and they charged the person with murder but had to later drop the charge because a witness no longer wanted to give evidence.

It was noted that CCTV footage was recovered, but that the scene of the murder had been shaded by some foliage and trees and was of little use in the police investigation.

The police said that there was no information to suggest that Mohamed Dura-Ray had been involved with any gangs.

Mohamed Dura-Ray had lived on the nearby Aylesbury estate, but it was not known what he was doing in Canterbury Place when he was attacked.

He had studied at Walworth Academy.

His full name was Alhaji Mohamed Dura-Ray.

*map pointers are rough estimates based on known location details as per Place field above.