Unsolved Murders

Arthur Robert Hyde

Age: 24

Sex: male

Date: 6 Apr 1927

Place: Great North Road, Grantham

Arthur Robert Hyde was knocked off of his bicycle.

A yardman said that he had been cycling along the Great North Road at about 10.15pm at Washdyke Lane near Stoke Park about six miles south of Grantham when a blue or black saloon car being driven dangerously, wobbling from one side of the road to the other overtook him. He said that it was going at about 20-25mph. He said that about two minutes later he heard a crash like the report of a gun and then about a quarter of a mile on he saw Arthur Hyde lying on the grass on the left-hand side of the road. He said that no other car, cycle or vehicle had passed him in any direction.

Shortly after, another man arrived in a motor car and rendered assistance. He said that Arthur Hyde was lying with his head on a drainage grip about six or seven feet from the road and said that there were no stones on the bank. He said that Arthur Hyde's bicycle lay about four feet away and that the bank was about thirteen and a half feet from the verge of the road. he said that he also noticed the track of a motor car on the grass nearby.

A policeman later arrived and said that he saw a motor wheel mark going from the road to the grass and then back onto the road which was about 34 feet in length. He said that it seemed as though the brake had been slightly applied. He said that there were no marks on the metalled road.

The policeman said that he later examined Arthur Hyde's bicycle and said that in his opinion the bicycle had been struck by the running board of a motor car.

Arthur Hyde was taken to the Grantham Hospital where he died the next day at 3am. A doctor said that considerable direct force would have been required to have produce the injuries that he had received.

When he arrived at the hospital he was unconscious and bleeding from a wound at the back of his head. A doctor said that through his wound he could see an extensive fracture to his skull and described his condition as hopeless.

The post-mortem stated that the fracture to the skull was ten inches long and that the cause of death was a laceration to the brain produced by the fracture.

The Coroner said that there was no evidence sufficiently strong to identify the car that had passed the yardman and noted that another car might have passed prior to that one.


*map pointers are rough estimates based on known location details as per Place field above.

see www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

see Grantham Journal - Saturday 21 May 1927

see Nottingham Journal - Saturday 21 May 1927

see Nottingham Evening Post - Saturday 09 April 1927