Unsolved Murders

Matthew Kitandwe

Age: 18

Sex: male

Date: 21 Jun 2016

Place: Wayford Street, Battersea, London

Source: www.standard.co.uk

Matthew Kitandwe was stabbed outside his home in Wayford Street, Battersea on 21 June 2016.

He was attacked on his doorstep at about 4.10pm as he was putting his key into the lock. He was said to have been ambushed.

His mother found him bleeding in the communal hallway to their flats having been stabbed several times. She had been waiting outside the flats in a car at the time and had seen the people that murdered him follow him in, and she was the first person to find him injured.

The London Ambulance Service arrived soon after who then called the police at 4.16pm. Matthew Kitandwe was pronounced dead at about 5pm.

His post mortem stated that his cause of death was stab injuries.

Police said that they were interested in tracing a group of black men who were seen earlier in the day around 11am in Wayford Street in a silver car. The police added that they were also looking to speak to anyone who had been in or near Wayford Street in the hours leading up to 4pm to come forward.

Eight teenagers aged between 13 and 18 were arrested on suspicion of his murder but all later released.

The police said that they had met a wall of silence around possible suspects. However, they said that they were looking into the possibility that his murder had been motivated by a dispute over a girl.

A 30-year-old Australian man who lived on the same street said that he saw a group of about three kids in hoodies and on bikes milling about near Matthew Kitandwe's block shortly before the murder. He said that it was a weird spot for them to hang about and that he had never seen them hanging about there before. He said that he saw them about 20 minutes before he heard the first sirens. He added, 'Whoever's killed him must know them because they got entry to their flat through a security door and their own door. You can't just walk up the stairs, you've got to have a security key to get on to the stairwell'.

Matthew Kitandwe, who was from Uganda, was noted for having played for Uganda's under-17 football team, and at the time of his murder he had been playing for Colliers Wood United FC.

At the time of his murder he had been a student at South Thames College.

His murder was reported in the Ugandan press and he was buried in his family burial grounds in Nabbingo in Uganda.

*map pointers are rough estimates based on known location details as per Place field above.