Date: 12 Jan 1930
George William Pegg died from poisoning.
He was an insurance agent from Chapel Street in Kilburn.
He first became ill on 16 October 1928 and was later sent to the Derbyshire Royal Infirmary where he later died.
When he first became ill his father sent for a doctor from Belper who said that he thought that George Pegg had been drinking. However, when he didn't get any better he was advised to go to the Infirmary where he became an outpatient until 2 November 1928 after which he entered as an inmate.
George Pegg had said nothing about drinking any poison but on 16 October 1928 he had gone out and when he returned it seemed as though he had had something to drink.
A doctor at the Infirmary said that it was evident that when he was admitted that George Pegg had swallowed some corrosive poison and was unable to eat. He also said that George Pegg did not appear mentally normal in the ward.
The doctor said that if George Pegg had drunk some beer that had contained spirits of salts that that would have been sufficient to have caused his injuries.
His post-mortem revealed that his stomach was badly distorted and scarred. He was also in a terribly emaciated condition.
An open verdict was returned.
see Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal - Friday 17 January 1930
see Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal - Friday 24 January 1930