Unsolved Murders

Dorothy Agnes Baird

Age: 48

Sex: female

Date: 13 Aug 1930

Place: Stafford

Source: www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

Dorothy Agnes Baird died after falling from a London to Manchester express train near Stafford.

She was found alive but died without regaining consciousness.

A man that was a passenger on the 2.30pm express train from Manchester to London said that his attention was attracted by a crash and he saw Dorothy Baird falling from the train through his carriage window with her arms and legs outstretched. He said that she had been in another compartment. He said that he thought the crash was the sound of the compartment door opening. When asked by the Coroner whether her position appeared to be natural the man said that her position appeared consistent with a person having hung on to that last minute and having been forced to let go by the wind pressure.

The communication cord was pulled but by the time it stopped the train was at Stafford Station.

When her compartment was searched there was no one inside. A mark was found on the seat that appeared to be made by a foot. There was also trace of vomit found on the seat of the carriage.

Evidence was given stating that the doors of the train were fitted with double-action locks that were properly fastened when the train had left Manchester. Railway officials said that in order to open the door the door handle would have had to have been turned from the outside.

She had lived in Trentham, Stoke-on-Trent and had family connections in Bexhill. She had been staying in Scotland.

Her housekeeper said that on the morning of 13 August 1930 Dorothy Baird had left the Ivy House in Trentham where she lived at 11am saying that she was going for a long walk on the Stone Road but didn't return. She said that she had taken her umbrella with her. She said that she didn't notice whether Dorothy Baird was depressed or whether there was any change in her manner.

The housekeeper said that Dorothy Baird had come to reside at Ivy House in November 1929 and that in July 1930 she had been away on holiday and that after she had returned she had complained of feeling unwell and was attended to by a doctor but on 13 August had said that she was feeling better.

Her sister said that she had seemed well and happy and that she had no financial worries or other troubles. She said that Dorothy Baird had written about a month earlier saying that she was thinking of taking up residence in Congleton where her family had lived.

An open verdict was returned.

Dorothy Baird had been engaged in painting old inn signs and had done some splendid work.

*map pointers are rough estimates based on known location details as per Place field above.

see Staffordshire Advertiser - Saturday 06 September 1930

see Bexhill-on-Sea Observer - Saturday 23 August 1930

see Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Wednesday 03 September 1930

see Gloucester Citizen - Wednesday 03 September 1930