Unsolved Murders

Bertha Mabel Farmerey

Age: unknown

Sex: female

Date: 28 Feb 1906

Place: Bee Hive Hotel, Hoole, Cheshire

Source: www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

Bertha Mabel Farmerey died unexpectedly from strychnine poisoning.

She was the licensee of the Bee Hive Hotel.

She had been attended to by a doctor for a chill who prescribed her some medicine which contained a small quantity of strychnine. She had only taken one dose but died.

It was said that the medicine that she was prescribed was harmless if taken as directed.

However, the amount of strychnine that she had absorbed could not be accounted for.

The jury returned a verdict that death was due to strychnine poisoning, and there was no evidence to show how the poison was administered.


*map pointers are rough estimates based on known location details as per Place field above.


see Lancashire Evening Post - Wednesday 28 February 1906

see Exmouth Journal - Saturday 03 March 1906