Date: 28 Jan 1933
Place: Crews Hill, Enfield
Elgar Morgan died from acute gastritis.
His body was found in a field. It was thought that he had collapsed in the field and died from exposure.
An open verdict was returned.
The doctor that carried out his post-mortem stated that he could find no signs of illness although he found signs of a rent acute gastritis which he said could have been caused by poisoning. He added that there was no trace of corrosive poisoning.
A search was made but no bottle for a poison could be found.
A pawn ticket was found on him.
He had telegraphed his parents for money who said that they thought that had had enough money with him. When he was found he had no money.
Elgar Morgan, who was from Lower Brynamman in Glamorgan, had been studying for a BSc degree at the University College of Wales in Aberystwyth where he lived in lodgings, and had gone to London to see the rugby international between England and Wales at Twickenham. It was thought that he had then stayed over to then see the big boxing contest between Peteren and Pettifer at Olympia on the Thursday 26 January 1933.
After some investigations it was heard that the police that that after coming to London to see the rugby and then the fight Elgar Morgan had spent all his money and had been walking back to Wales and to have lost his way and then become overcome by influenza and pneumonia and then collapsed just off the roadway in a field adjoining Crews Hill golf course.
The coroner said that he was not satisfied with the case and would content himself by recording an open verdict that Elgar Morgan had died from acute gastritis, the cause of which was not ascertained.
see Gloucestershire Echo - Thursday 02 February 1933
see Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette - Monday 30 January 1933
see Edinburgh Evening News - Monday 30 January 1933
see Shepton Mallet Journal - Friday 03 February 1933
see Gloucester Citizen - Thursday 02 February 1933