Date: 1 Mar 1919
Horace Walter Ash died after eating a rasher of bacon.
He had eaten breakfast with his family and had had some bacon along with other members of his family.
His mother had tasted the bacon and said, 'This is half-poison, I can't eat it', and then gave it to the cat which then became ill.
Horace Ash's father also became ill after eating the bacon but other members of the family were unaffected.
Horace Ash's post-mortem showed that he had died from an irritant poison but that there was no way to show that it had been taken into his system by any particular food.
A doctor said that the bacon could not have caused his death otherwise a greater number of people that had partaken of that particular side would also have become ill.
see Larne Times - Saturday 01 March 1919