Date: 6 Feb 1915
Joseph Louis Muller died from oxalic acid poisoning.
He was found dead in his bed at 5 Lion's Buildings in Hoxton.
A newly opened packet bearing an Epsom salts label was found nearby. However, after analysis of 42 packets of Epsom salts from the same source, it was found that the Epsom salts contained only Epsom salts and no oxalic acid.
No trace of oxalic acid could be found anywhere.
He was an Austrian.
It was said that he had earlier been in low spirits because he was unable to write to his mother in Austria owing to the war.
A doctor said that if he had taken the oxalic acid by mistake then he would have cried out in pain but that if he had done it with suicidal intent he could probably have contained his feelings.
An open verdict was returned by the Coroner's jury with a rider that no blame was attached to Messrs. Boots.
see The Scotsman - Monday 01 March 1915, p5