Unsolved Murders

Ann Robertson

Age: unknown

Sex: female

Date: 1 Sep 1908

Place: 1 Prospect Hill Street, Greenock

Source: www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

Ann Robertson died at her house.

Her husband was tried for having kicked her to death between 13 and 17 June 1908 but was found not guilty.

The woman that lived directly below Ann Robertson said that Ann Robertson called at her house at 10am on the morning of 15 June 1908 with both of her eyes swollen and discoloured. She said that Ann Robertson also had a cut on her brow surrounded by dried blood and the whole of her face was black and said that when she asked her who had done it Ann Robertson told her that her husband had done it.

The woman said that Ann Robertson was helped back to her own house and whilst there she asked her husband who their doctor was but said that the husband replied that Ann Robertson didn't need a doctor as she was 'fou'.

The woman said that she went down to see Ann Robertson the following morning and found her dead on her bedclothes.

The neighbour said that she said to the husband, 'Your wife is dead', and said that he replied, 'My God', and walked out of the house.

When the police went to the house they said that they found several bloodstains on the floor, walls and other parts of the kitchen as well as bloodstains on the husband’s clothes.

The doctor that carried out the post-mortem stated that he thought that death had been due directly to the extensive bruising and in particular to the intercranial haemorrhage and laceration of the brain and stated that he thought that the injuries must have been inflicted by repeated blows with some blunt instrument.

When the husband gave evidence, he denied kicking her to death and said that Ann Robertson had been drinking for years and frequently stole his wage from his pockets.

He said that he found Ann Robertson dead in her bed with her face all swollen and that he thought that her injuries had been sustained on the previous Saturday night through quarrelling with the neighbours.

When the jury returned the not guilty verdict, the husband was freed from the dock and was enthusiastically received by the crowded court from the dock and carried off by jubilant friends.

see Mid Sussex Times - Tuesday 01 September 1908

see Dundee Courier - Friday 28 August 1908

see Aberdeen Press and Journal - Friday 28 August 1908