Unsolved Murders

Rosina Mary Haimes

Age: 27

Sex: female

Date: 19 Jan 1937

Place: Streatham High Road, Streatham

Rosina Mary Haimes died following an illegal operation.

She was taken to St James's Hospital where she died from septicaemia on 19 January 1937.

She lived at a club where her husband was a club steward.

Her husband said that they had been married for six years and that they had three children, the youngest of whom was two years old, and said that Rosina Haimes had said that she didn't want any more children. However, he said that he didn't know that she was in a certain condition.

He said that her health had been poor since December 1936 but that when the doctor saw her he said that she had influenza. However, he said that she became acutely ill on New Year's Day and was taken to St James's Hospital where she later died.

He said that he didn't think that anyone else had done anything to terminate her condition.

The doctor that had visited Rosina Haimes said that he had known her for three years. He said that when he saw her on 1 January 1937 he had thought that she was suffering from influenza and said that he had no reason to think that she was pregnant. However, he said that when he went to visit her on the following Wednesday she had complained of pains and that when he examined her he suspected that she had had a miscarriage, or possibly an incomplete miscarriage, and ordered her removal to the hospital.

The medical superintendent at the hospital said that Rosina Haimes was very ill when she was admitted on 6 January 19367 and said that she had told him that she had tried to induce a miscarriage, although she had said that her condition was only of three weeks duration.

He said that when she was admitted she had been suffering from septicaemia which was the cause of her death. He said that Rosina Haimes had said nothing of anyone else doing anything to her regarding her condition and had told him that she had done it herself.

When the Coroner summed up he said, 'This poor woman made a statement that she had attempted to terminate her condition. On the other hand, it may have been someone else, although the post-mortem did not support that view.  We cannot be sure whether she attempted to bring about the termination of her condition, which led to her death'.

An open verdict was then returned.

*map pointers are rough estimates based on known location details as per Place field above.

see www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

see Norwood News - Friday 29 January 1937