Unsolved Murders

Ann Burrows

Age: 82

Sex: female

Date: 9 Sep 1937

Place: Longford Road, Foleshill

Ann Burrows was knocked over in the street.

She had been walking along the road with a friend on 7 September 1937 when the friend said that they were knocked down by a bicycle. She said that they were about halfway across the road when they were set flying by what she thought was a bicycle. There was mention of a bus, but she said that she was sure it was not a bus that had knocked them over.

Ann Burrows was taken to the Coventry and Warwickshire Hospital where she died two days later from laceration of the brain.

A bus driver said that he had seen Ann Burrows and her friend at the roadside and that just after passing them he heard a metallic clatter and that after stopping his bus and going back he had found the two women lying in the road. He said that when he saw them he saw a bicycle near to them with its wheel just touching Ann Burrows. At the inquest, the bus driver said that he was emphatic that his bus had not struck the women.

A cyclist that had been standing on the canal bridge said that he saw a bus pass and then saw two elderly women lying in the roadway.

A 14-year old boy said that he saw a bicycle lying on top of Ann Burrows as she lay in the road and said that a man then picked the machine up and rode away. He added that the man that he saw was not the cyclist that had been standing on the bridge that had previously given evidence as to having seen Ann Burrows lying in the road. The boy also  said that he didn't think that the bus could  have struck the women.

The policeman that arrived at the scene about five minutes after said that he examined the bus but found no marks on it and said that he was satisfied that it could not have knocked the women down. He also added that he was satisfied that the cyclist that had been on the bridge and who had given evidence had not been concerned in the accident.

The Coroner said, 'It seems awful to think that two women could be knocked down like this, and for the person responsible not to have, if I my put it crudely, the guts to come forward'.

The Coroner added that it was a well-known fact that there were usually 200 or 300 people around just after an accident, but that not one of them saw the actual incident.

*map pointers are rough estimates based on known location details as per Place field above.

see www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

see Birmingham Daily Gazette - Tuesday 28 September 1937