Date: 17 Jan 1942
Place: James Rouse Ltd, Sheffield
James Rouse died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
He was the managing director of a Sheffield firm of dental suppliers, James Rouse Ltd, and was found dead by the firm's business manager on the Monday 12 January 1942 sitting at his desk with a fountain pen in his hand.
However, it was not known how he had come to die from carbon monoxide poisoning and the police said that they could find no evidence to show how James Rouse had come into contact with the gas or any place where he might have inhaled it.
The pathologist said that it was possible for a person to inhale carbon monoxide and to still be active for some time after.
It was noted that he was due to appear that day at Sheffield Police Court on a charge of driving while under the influence of drink.
The coroner returned a verdict of 'Death from inhaling carbon monoxide gas', and added that he was satisfied that it was not a case of suicide, and that he assumed that he had inhaled the gas accidently.
James Rouse had lived in Brincliffe Edge Road in Sheffield.
When his will was settled in June 1942 his estate was valued at £5,507 with net personalty £4,726.
see Dundee Courier - Saturday 17 January 1942, p3
see Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Tuesday 13 January 1942
see Yorkshire Evening Post - Saturday 20 June 1942