Unsolved Murders

Marguerite Huber

Age: 18

Sex: female

Date: 3 Apr 1943

Place: 17 Manette Street, Westminster

Marguerite Huber died following an illegal operation with an instrument.

It was heard that there was no evidence connecting anyone with her death which was caused by a septic abortion and an open verdict was returned.

She was a cashier and had lived at 17 Manette Street in Westminster. She was taken to St Stephen's Hospital in Fulham on 25 March 1943 suffering from her injuries and later died on 3 April 1943.

Marguerite Huber's mother said that Marguerite Huber had been associating with a married cook who lived in Shaftesbury Avenue with his wife and two children. She said that Marguerite Huber had been to an approved school for care and protection but ran away before she was 16 years old. She said that from what Marguerite Huber had told her that she would see the cook every day and that the cook would later go home to his wife each night.

Marguerite Huber's mother added that Marguerite Huber had told her who was responsible for her condition.

She said that she was first informed that Marguerite Huber had had a miscarriage when she got to the hospital and said that she knew of no one who might have interfered with her.

Marguerite Huber's mother said that on the morning of 24 March 1943 she met Marguerite Huber and that they later had some lunch together after then went to the pictures at Camden Town. She said that she later left Marguerite Huber at about 5.30pm at which time she seemed quite well, saying that Marguerite Huber told her that she had an appointment, but did not say where.

She said that Marguerite Huber never actually told her that she wished to end her pregnancy but said that Marguerite Huber 'knew that she must not have it'.

The doctor at St Stephen's Hospital said that when Marguerite Huber was admitted, she was suffering from a septic abortion and generalised peritonitis.

A doctor who had a surgery on Dean Street in Soho said that Marguerite Huber came to him on 25 January 1943 accompanied by the cook. He said that when he then examined Marguerite Huber he suspected that she was pregnant. He said that he first saw her on 24 September 1942 when he treated her for colitis and then again on 29 December 1942 when she complained of earache and toothache, and he gave her a prescription. The doctor said that when Marguerite Huber came to see him on 25 January 1943, Marguerite Huber asked him if it were possible to get rid of the baby, or words to that effect and said that he told her that it was not. The doctor added that neither Marguerite Huber or the cook asked him whether they knew of anyone who could get rid of the baby.

The doctor said that when Marguerite Huber next called for him to attend her at her home at 17 Monette Street on 25 Match 1943, he found that she was very ill and had signs of a threatened abortion and he made arrangements for her to be removed to hospital.

The pathologist that examined her said that her death was due to pelvic peritonitis consequent upon instrumental interference.

The cook said that he had known Marguerite Huber for about two years, but said that he did not know that she was going to have a baby. He said that when Marguerite Huber went to see the doctor it was because she had been feeling ill when she ate and denied that he had asked the doctor to examine Marguerite Huber to see whether she was pregnant.

He said that he had nothing to do with her death and didn't take her to anyone to have an illegal operation performed on her.

He said that he went with Marguerite Huber to see the doctor twice, the first time being in January 1943 when she had pains in her side and had been vomiting, noting that there was no thought that that time that she was going to have a baby. He said that he understood that the doctor had given Marguerite Huber some medicine in January 1943 which he said he understood was for gastritis. He said that in February and March 1943 Marguerite Huber's health was all right and that on the night of 24 March 1943 she was taken ill, but that she was all right again in the morning.

The cook said that later in the afternoon of 25 March 1943, he found her in bed shivering and said that he then asked for the doctor to call.

The doctor said that when he arrived at 17 Manette Street, he found Marguerite Huber suffering from the threatened abortion and noted that he was suspicious at that point that it might not have been a spontaneous abortion.

After the doctor gave his evidence at the inquest, the police stated that they didn't wish for an adjournment and an open verdict was returned.

*map pointers are rough estimates based on known location details as per Place field above.

see www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

see Chelsea News and General Advertiser - Friday 30 April 1943