Unsolved Murders

Jane Elizabeth Marriott

Age: 48

Sex: female

Date: 15 Apr 1906

Place: Wells Road, Charlton, Nottingham

Jane Elizabeth Marriott was found dead with a broken neck in a brick yard on the Wells Road in Charlton on Sunday 15 April 1906.

She was found in the bottom of a clay pit that was over 60 feet deep.

She had lived in Main Street in Charlton. She had left home to make a number of purchases and her husband became alarmed after she didn't return and a search was made for her.

The brick yard was owned by the Bulwell Brick Company.

It was heard that Jane Marriott had been out drinking on the Saturday night and had become quite drunk.

A woman who had lived in Holly Gardens said that she had been coming up Bartholemews Lane on the Saturday night when she had heard a scream and then a few yards further on heard another scream and saw a woman standing under a lamp. She said that she asked the woman what the matter was and said that the woman then screamed out, 'Mrs Marriott'. The woman said that the woman had been bareheaded but had something tied under her chin. She said that she looked very wild and that she was terrified after she heard the woman scream out. She said that she then ran away and didn't see the woman again.

A man from Thorneywood Lane said that he was told on the Saturday evening to be careful as there was a mad woman about. He said that he later saw a bareheaded woman crying out as though in pain, but said that he didn't speak to her, but did say that she called out to him, 'Oh, do come to me'. He said that he then went on his way but said that the woman followed him. He said that shortly after a man went up to the woman and walked along with her and he sad that he gathered that the man was trying to persuade the woman to go home. He said that the woman then went over a bridge and that they separated. He said that he did not think that he would be able to identify the man again.

He said that shortly after the woman went off over the bridge with the man going off in the other direction and that he also went over the bridge and that shortly after he heard her cry out, 'Dad' and when she was asked who 'Dad' was, she cried out 'God, in heaven'.

He said that she then reeled against the wall and seemed to be gasping for breath and so a glass of water was sent for her which seemed to revive her.

The man said that he then saw the woman walk away, making some bad language, and said that he left her in Thorneywood Lane, behaving in that fashion at about 11.45pm.

He said that when he asked the woman her name, she had told him, 'Carter, of Carlton' and it was noted that Carter was Jane Marriott's maiden name.

It was heard during the inquest that allegations had been made that Jane Marriott had been served with drink in the Crown and Anchor public house on the Saturday evening whilst in a drunken condition, but the landlord of the Crown and Anchor refused that and said that a woman did seek admission but that she was not in a proper condition and was refused and that he had witnesses to prove that. However, the coroner refused his denial saying that he had three witnesses that had said that they had seen Jane Marriott drinking in the Crown and Anchor public house on the Saturday night.

After the coroner summed up he returned a verdict that Jane Marriott had died from a broken neck but that there was no evidence to show under what circumstances it was sustained.

Following the inquest, the landlord of the Crown and Anchor public house in Sneinton Street was summoned for selling beer and port wine to a drunken person on 14 April 1906 as well as selling intoxicating liquor to Jane Marriott.

It was heard that Jane Marriott had met another woman in Sneiton Street on the afternoon of Saturday 14 April 1906 at about 6pm and that they had gone to the Crown and Anchor public house where it was heard, although they were already drunk, they were served with beer. Afterwards the other woman returned the compliment and called for port wine which they were also served with. They had been in the pub from about 6.10pm to 6.50pm after which they went to the Stag and Hounds where the landlord refused to serve Jane Marriott due to her condition.

However, it was heard that Jane Marriott and her friend went back to the Crown and Anchor public house where they were again served with beer, staying there from 7pm to 8.30pm. The court heard that although they were served on that occasion by the waiter that the landlord and landlady, who were behind the bar in the same room, could easily have seen the condition that the women had been in. It was noted that the landlord had objected to the condition of Jane Marriott at about 8pm and had turned her out of the house but that she had returned a few minutes later and stayed for some further time.

It was noted that although the other woman could be brought to the court, that Jane Marriott could not be brought as after leaving the public house she had found her way later that evening to the brickfield in Wells Road where she was found dead the following day.

After the court heard that the evidence was proved the landlord was fined £5 for permitting drunkenness.

The Bulwell Brick Company yard in The Wells Road has since been redeveloped but was roughly where Eccles Way is today.

*map pointers are rough estimates based on known location details as per Place field above.

see www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

see National Library of Scotland

see Nottingham Journal - Thursday 03 May 1906

see Derby Daily Telegraph - Tuesday 17 April 1906

see Nottingham Evening Post - Wednesday 30 May 1906