Unsolved Murders

Rajesh Verma

Age: 57

Sex: male

Date: 27 May 2018

Place: Acton Park, Birkbeck Grove, Acton, West London

Rajesh Verma was attacked with a pair of garden shears near the entrance of Acton Park, opposite Birkbeck Grove in west London, on 31 August 2003 and died 15 years later from his injuries on 27 May 2018.

He had been with a friend at the time who had became involved in an argument with another man and he had gone to his friends assistance after which it was said that a mob of eight men attacked him and his friend at the entrance to Acton Park on 31 August 2003. When Rajesh Verma went to the defence of his friend he was struck in the head with a pair of garden shears and suffered severe brain damage. The injury caused him a number of health problems from which he later died on 27 May 2018.

No arrests or charges were made.

Following the assault Rajesh Verma was treated in hospital and later discharged but he suffered from brain damage.

In 2015 he had a major heart attack that resulted in oxygen starvation to his brain which left him unable to think, move, talk or walk. Although his condition was severe his family chose to care for him at home. He also suffered from epilepsy as a result of the attack and had an epileptic fit in 2017 which resulted in a broken hip.

He spent the last 18 months of his life in a coma, however, his family chose to continue care for him at home. His family said, 'He required 24-hour assistance and we gave it. We watched him in the same position day after day. Life was all about him, but we all had hope'.

The garden shears were found at the time nearby in the park.

The police said, 'We believe Rajesh was attacked after he intervened in a dispute between one of his friends and another individual. The suspects are believed to be local to the Acton area and are likely to still be living there or have links to the area. All were described as being of East African appearance'.

They added that they had 'no doubt that people will have chatted and boasted about it'.

Rajesh Verma's post mortem showed that there had been a 'causal link' between his death and the injuries he had received and a verdict of unlawful killing was recorded at an inquest in November 2019.

The police later opened a murder investigation in March 2020.

Rajesh Verma had been 42 years old when he was attacked and had been a book-keeper and had had two children.

*map pointers are rough estimates based on known location details as per Place field above.