Unsolved Murders

Carrie Jubb

Age: 32

Sex: female

Date: 14 Feb 1915

Place: Brooke Street, Huddersfield

Carrie Jubb was found dead in a water tub in a yard just off of Brooke Street.

She died from wounds inflicted by some blunt instrument.

The tub was on the premises of Messrs. JH Wood and Son, fish salesmen.

A man who had once lived with her was arrested on suspicion of her murder but was discharged when it was decided that there was not enough evidence to place him on trial.

Carrie Jubb had herself at the time been living in a furnished apartment on Swallow Street, Huddersfield.

On 13 February 1915 Carrie Jubb and the suspect with whom she had once lived with went to a woman's house in 195 Upperhead Row where they stayed because they had nowhere else to go and it was snowing. The person who lived there said that Carrie Jubb stayed the night and had promised to return the next night but never returned although the man that she had been with did return unexpectedly. The woman said that he looked pale and said, 'I am cold with being out looking for Carrie'. She said that he was restless and once drank from a bucket of water. He then left again at 5.30am on the Monday morning but returned at 8.30am and then left again, each time saying, 'If Carrie comes back, I'll come back soon'.

Carrie Jubb had previously lived with the man arrested for her murder a month or so earlier at 59 Upperhead Row. On the Sunday night, 14 February 1915, Carrie Jubb and the suspect had visited the Ring o' Bells pub in Northgate where Carrie Jubb was seen outside at about 9.10pm. The suspect returned to 195 Upperhead Row at 10.43pm and Carrie Jubb was found dead the next day.

A woman said that she saw Carrie Jubb at 9.10pm talking to a tall dark man who was a stranger outside the pub. She said that the man had a light coat and a soft hat. She said that she would know the man if she saw him again and said that that man was the murderer and that she would give her hands to find out who he was.

A policeman said that he knew Carrie Jubb and said that he last saw her at 9.10pm on the Sunday night, 14 February 1915, alone in Byram Street. He said that she went down St Peters Street. The distance between where he last saw her and where she was found in Brooke Street was about 150 yards but at the time she was going in the opposite direction.

The water tub that she was found in was sunk into the ground in a yard a considerable distance from an inhabited dwelling off of Brooke Street. Only her legs protruded from the tub. There was a large scalp wound behind her left ear and her arms were bruised.

Her body was found by a 17 year old who worked at Messrs. JH Wood and Co. which were in a yard off of Brooke Street and opposite the Wholesale Market. He said that he got to the yard at about 6pm on the Monday morning 15 February 1915 and was on his way to the stables which meant he had to pass near a barrel containing water which was let into the ground. He said that the barrel was meant for giving water to the horses and had about 2 feet of water in it at the time. He said that he saw something white in the barrel but because of the darkness he could not discern what it was. Then after he had fed the horses he went to have a look with a lantern and found the body of Carrie Jubb in the barrel. He said that her head and arms were entirely in the water and her feet were on the ground. He thought that she was dead and went for the police and met a policeman near the market in Victoria Lane. Her hat and some money were found lying about a yard from where her feet were. The police picked up the money and found a half crown and some coppers.

The yard had a large door that was closed with a bar which had a small door let into it which was closed but not locked.

Her skirt was found lying between the tub and the stable and had been rolled up. The skirt had been torn from top to bottom. The police also found a cigarette end near by.

The post-mortem found that her legs were free from marks but that she had bruises on the back of her right hand from the knuckles to the wrist as well as her arms. She had bruising on her left forearm and a bone was broken. Her upper lip was severely bruised and and a tooth was knocked out of the front but it was still in her mouth. From the appearance of the skin on her cheek it looked as though she had been dragged across rough ground. She had bruising around the right eye and behind the upper part of the right temple there was a ragged curved wound right down to the bone which must have been caused by a severe blow from above downwards possibly by a blunt instrument. When the scalp was removed several spots of effused blood were found indicating that several blows to her head had been made although her skull was not fractured. She also had wounds to her chest indicating similar types of blows. There was no evidence of drowning. It was said that Carrie Jubb must have received a severe blow to the mouth, another on the right eye, one on the right ear and one behind the temple which must have been caused by a blunt instrument with the wounds to the mouth and eye probably caused by a fist. The wound to her forearm was probably caused whilst she was defending herself. Death was given as shock resulting from the injuries received.

She was a married woman but had been living apart from her husband for several years.

*map pointers are rough estimates based on known location details as per Place field above.

see www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

see Dundee Courier - Saturday 13 March 1915

see Dundee Courier - Tuesday 16 February 1915

see Leeds Mercury - Saturday 13 March 1915

see Yorkshire Evening Post - Friday 12 March 1915

see Huddersfield Daily Examiner - Wednesday 17 February 1915

see Framlingham Weekly News - Saturday 27 February 1915