Unsolved Murders

Jane Elizabeth Marriott

Age: 48

Sex: female

Date: 3 May 1906

Place: Wells Road, Charlton, Notingham

Jane Elizabeth Marriott was found dead with a broken neck in a brick yard on the Wells Road in Charlton.

She had lived in Main Street in Charlton.

The brick yard was owned by the Bulwell Brick Company.

It was thought that Jane Elizabeth Marriott had been out drinking on the Saturday night and had become quite drunk.

A woman who had lived in Holly Gardens said that she had been coming up Bartholemews Lane on the Saturday night when she had heard a scream and then a few yards further on heard another scream and saw a woman standing under a lamp. She said that she asked the woman what the matter was and said that the woman then screamed out, 'Mrs Marriott'. The woman said that the woman had been bareheaded but had something tied under her chin. She said that she looked very wild and that that she was terrified after she heard the woman scream out. She said that she then ran away and didn't see the woman again.

A man from Thorneywood Lane said that he was told on the Saturday evening to be careful as there was a mad woman about. He said that he later saw a bareheaded woman crying out as though in pain, but said that he didn't speak to her, but did say that she called out to him, 'Oh, do come to me'. He said that he then went on his way but said that the woman followed him. He said that shortly after a man went up to the woman and walked along with her and he sad that he gathered that the man was trying to persuade the woman to go home. He said that the woman then went over a bridge and they separated. He said that he did not think that he would be able to identify the man again.

He said that shortly after the woman went off over the bridge with the man going off in the other direction and that he also went over the bridge and that shortly after he heard her cry out, 'Dad' and when she was asked who 'Dad' was, she cried out 'God, in heaven'.

He said that she then reeled against the wall and seemed to be gasping for breath and so a glass of water was sent for her which seemed to revive her.

The man said that he then saw the woman walk away, making some bad language, and said that he left her in Thorneywood Lane, behaving in that fashion at about 11.45pm.

He said that when he asked the woman her name, she had told him, 'Carter, of Carlton' and it was noted that Carter was Jane Marriott's maiden name.

It was heard during the inquest that allegations had been made that Jane Marriott had been served with drink in the Crown and Anchor public house on the Saturday evening whilst in a drunken condition, but the landlord of the Crown and Anchor refused that and said that a woman did seek admission but that she was not in a proper condition and was refused and that he had witnesses to prove that. However, the coroner refused his denial saying that he had three witnesses that had said that they had seen Jane Marriott drinking in the Crown and Anchor public house on the Saturday night.

After the coroner summed up he returned a verdict that Jane Marriott had died from a broken neck but that there was no evidence to show under what circumstances it was sustained.

*map pointers are rough estimates based on known location details as per Place field above.

see www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

see Nottingham Journal - Thursday 03 May 1906