Unsolved Murders

Anthony Parsons

Age: 64

Sex: male

Date: 29 Sep 2017

Place: Tillicoultry, Argyll and Bute

Anthony Parsons went missing after going out on his bicycle.

He was last seen cycling towards Tydrum along the A82 at about 11.30pm on 29 September 2017 from the Bridge of Orchy Hotel in Argyll and Bute. It was thought that he was heading back to his home in Clackmannanshire.

He had started off earlier that day from his home in Ross Court, Tillicoultry at 9.30am by taking a train from Tillicoultry to Fort William where he then went off on his bicycle at 4.10pm.

He was later seen cycling past the Claymore Filling Station at Glencoe Village shortly after 6pm.

He was reported missing on Monday 2 October 2017.

The ride was 104-miles and he was doing it for charity, having done a number of similar charity rides in the past.

The police said, 'Any information, no matter how small it may seem, could be key to helping us find Tony. I would continue to appeal for anyone who saw a man matching Tony’s description or who may have seen, found or taken possession of a yellow bike along the route of the A82 on 29th September or in the days after to contact us as soon as possible'.

Anthony Parsons, also referred to as Tony Parsons, was described as being:

  • 5ft 9in tall.
  • Stocky build.
  • 63-years-old.
  • Short greying hair and moustache.
  • Usually wore glasses.
  • Had a tattoo of an anchor on his right upper arm and a tattoo of an eagle on his left arm.
  • Wearing a distinctive red waterproof jacket, a blue long-sleeved cycling top, a high-vis vest, fingerless gloves, beige combat trousers and walking boots. He had also been wearing a silver and grey cycling helmet and had a silver and blue rucksack.
  • Riding a yellow-framed bike with black handlebars.

Neither Anthony Parsons nor his bicycle were ever traced. Extensive searches were made along the West Highland Way by the police Mountain Rescue Team, Air Support Unit and Dog Unit as well as members of the Killin, Oban and Arrochar Mountain Rescue Teams, coastguard and civilians.

The police said that there was nothing to suggest anything suspicious had happened to him although his disappearance, along with his bicycle was a complete mystery. They said, 'We have not uncovered any evidence at all of any criminality through the extensive searches and inquiries we have conducted. It still remains a missing persons inquiry at the moment. We have traced his movements from Fort William, through to Glen Coe, through to the Bridge of Orchy Hotel, and then an unconfirmed sighting about a half mile south of the hotel from another lorry driver. From there, there's been absolutely no confirmed sightings of Tony or the bike, which a year on, is unusual'.

Anthony Parsons had been in the Navy and had served on the submarines including the Polaris submarine and had held the rank of chief petty officer. He was married with two grown-up children and two grandchildren.

It was reported on Wednesday 30 December 2020 that two 29-year-old men were arrested in connection with his disappearance. Anthony Parsons's body was then found on 13 January 2021 at a farm near Bridge of Orchy just off the A82.

On 2 December 2021 it was reported that two twin brothers had been charged with his murder. They were also charged with attempting to defeat the ends of justice and conspiracy to murder Mr Parsons. One of them was also charged with causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

Anthony Parsons funeral took place on 29 April 2021 at Stirlingshire Crematorium.

*map pointers are rough estimates based on known location details as per Place field above.