Unsolved Murders

Thomas Kelly

Age: 22

Sex: male

Date: 26 Oct 2017

Place: High Street, Crawley

Thomas Kelly died after a street brawl in High Street, Crawley outside Lloyd's Barbers on Saturday 21 October 2017 at 3am. He was taken to hospital where he initially recovered somewhat but later  died on Friday 3 November 2017.

The brawl had involved five men armed with baseball bats and a metal bar following an incident of road rage. It was heard that all the men were known to each other.

The altercation had initially involved people from three cars, two Suzuki’s and a grey or black BMW from which several people got out and the fight ensued.

Thomas Kelly was found injured following the incident and taken to Kings Hospital where he was put into an induced coma from which he was brought out of three days later and transferred to Harefield Hospital where he later died.

A 21 and 22-year-old man were arrested on suspicion of inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent following the brawl.

A 27-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of affray, a 23-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage and a 16-year-old boy was arrested for being drunk and disorderly and assaulting a police officer.

However, it is not known whether there were to be any charges for murder of manslaughter and further noted that Thomas Kelly had suffered from a weak heart and had received a heart transplant when he was 3-years-old which might have been a factor in his death.

Thomas Kelly had been out with his girlfriend and cousins on the Saturday night and had been in a car when they got into a row with some people in another car.

He was hit about the head and suffered head injuries and had a heart attack and was resuscitated at the scene. After the ambulance arrived and took him off to the hospital they had to pull in at a garage to administer more treatment after he had another heart attack and needed to be put into an induced coma which took about 40 minutes.

Thomas Kelly remained in a coma for three days but was then brought out of it and transferred to Harefield Hospital and was able to sit up and talk although he was paralysed in one arm due to his head injury.

However, he later suffered from complications and died on 3 November 2017.

*map pointers are rough estimates based on known location details as per Place field above.